Apply at any NC county Register of Deeds office. It doesn't need to be in the county in which you're getting married.
or type 'Marriage License' and County Name into Google search.
You can download an application from any county.
NC Marriage License Requirements
What You Do With Your Marriage License:
Give Rev. Robin Renteria the license anytime before the ceremony, preferably at the rehearsal or earlier. She must have the license before the ceremony. After the ceremony, she signs the license and asks your two witnesses to sign the license. (In VA no witnesses are required. She mails both copies back to the Register of Deeds where you got it where it will be recorded by the county.
Getting Certified Copies After You're Married:
To prove you're married you need a certified copy from the county. Some counties provide you with a copy of their required form to order copies. You can also download the necessary information and the form any time from the county where you got your license. Check what the county requires for you to get copies. Each copy costs $10.00 payable to the Register of Deeds Office for that county.
To Get A Name Changed:
Take a certified copy of the marriage license to the Social Security Administration, then to the DMV. To get a passport changed, mail a certified copy to the passport office.
- Both Bride and Groom must appear in person, or a notarized affidavit can be obtained if one person cannot be there.
- Go Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. Don't go just before the office closes. They will turn you away.
- Social Security numbers verified by their Social Security Cards, W-2 Forms or a pay stub, plus
- If 21 years of age or older: current Driver's License, State ID Card, Passport, or Military ID.
- If under 21: a certified copy of their Birth Certificate. (Some counties require this for all applicants.)
- If 16 or 17 years old, written parental consent and a certified copy of your birth certificate.
- If divorced, the month and year of your divorce. If finalized less than 30 days before, the original or certified divorce decree.
- $60.00 cash payment (check county sites for any price changes).
- No physical exam or blood work is required.
- The license is valid for 60 days from the time and date it is issued.
As a UU minister, wedding minister, wedding officiant, and wedding celebrant Rev. Robin Renteria primarily serves the NC Triangle: Orange, Durham, Wake, Chatham, and Alamance counties and the towns of Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham, Raleigh, Hillsborough, Cary, Mebane, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, Apex, Bahama, Burlington, and Efland.
Reverend Robin Renteria, Ph.D.
Images and content throughout this site may not be used without written consent.
Other logos and images used belong to their respective owners and are used with permission.
Reverend Robin Renteria, (919) 818-6362, Hillsborough, NC
Learn about Rev. Robin Renteria's:
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, and nearby